Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Gari aka Pickled Ginger

So I decided to make my own Gari (pickled Ginger). I have been eating so much sushi I decided to make my own. It's so simple I just had to do it. There's no secret to Gari. All you have to do is peel the ginger root with a butter knife like I did or the back of a spoon. After peeling Ginger use a Japanese Mandoline and slice it very very thinly. So far so simple right. After slicing Ginger place in colander toss some salt in and fold ginger over and over until you are sure the salt is thoroughly incorporated. Place colander over sink for about 30-45 minutes. Wipe off excess moisture with paper towel and toss into a food safety container and add your sugar vinegar solution. The recipe is simple. A ratio of Rice wine Vinegar (3) & Sugar (2). I used about 600 grams of Ginger so I used 3 cups of Vinegar and two cups of sugar (note: if you like a sweeter version increase sugar by 10%-25%). I brought Vinegar and Sugar to a boil mixing thoroughly dissolving sugar completely. Toss vinegar solution on ginger and cool slightly and refrigerate for a week before using. The Gari should last indefinitely. 
600 grams of Ginger
Easily peeled in a few minutes
Benriner Japanese Mandoline...its the best. 
Mesh safety glove!!! A must unless you want to lose a finger
All sliced up and tossed with a little salt and evenly coated
Food container
Boiling vinegar solution poured over Ginger
One hour later

In about a week or so it will take on a pink hue.  Eat and enjoy!!



1 comment: