Monday, July 6, 2015

Jewish Lox-Sushi

My take on Jewish Sushi has to involve Lox!! I grew up on Bagels and Lox and there is nothing better. Have you ever had a fresh hot bagel? Munching down on a hot bagel with a smear of cream-cheese covered with lox and all the fixings are heavenly. In the early 80's I worked part time at a bagel bakery. I baked them and ate them too. I ate tons of Bagels and Lox so you can say I have a thing for good bagels. Don't get me even started on Bialy's which are to die for.  

It is noteworthy to point out that Lox is not smoked salmon. It's cured differently and the taste and texture are different. Smoked Salmon is an all encompassing term to describe any salmon that is cured with hot or cold smoke. Lox (so heavenly) is salmon cured in salt and sugar or in a brine. Nova Lox (My Fav) is cured and cold-smoked. When I was kid I ate Nova Lox from the belly. Belly Lox is the fatty section on the belly of a salmon which is mind blowing delicious. 

I am very nostalgic when it comes to food and I wanted a Sushi roll that reminded me of my childhood favorites; namely Bagels and Lox. I decided to go with the standards; Lox, Cream cheese, Cucumber, Red-onion and capers. I put Sesame seeds on the outside of the Sushi Roll which is reminiscent of a Sesame seed Bagel. I made two types, Rolled and Pressed, which have identical ingredients just different Sushi styles. Inside the roll: Cream-Cheese, Cucumber, Lox, Red Onion. On the very top of the roll is couple of capers and just bit of onion. 
English Cucumbers  
 Seeded using a spoon
Cut into thin strips
Nova Lox....nothing but the best for this Sushi Roll
Cream cheese: I partially froze it to make it easier to slice into strips
Nori
About 60 % of the Nori
Sushi Rice
All the ingredients piled in the lower half. This is called an inside out Sushi Roll
Rolled up













No comments:

Post a Comment